Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What I Made: Mobius Cowl Scarf

I've been itching for a knitting project lately. Just something to keep my hands occupied since I'm spending a good bit of time sitting still these days.

I have always been a half-hearted knitter, not really interested in learning proper technique or following a pattern. I still knit using the same method I was taught in Girl Scouts many a year ago and I've been told by a professional that it's a sort of backwards-style that I use. I've managed to make quite a few scarves as gifts over the years and even tried my hand at the stockinette and rib stitches but knitting in the round was something I'd never attempted. Until now...

Enter the Mobius Cowl Scarf. I found it on purl bee which is an excellent resource for all things fiber-related. Mine is obviously a little bigger (I cast on 130 stitches instead of the 80 instructed based on some instructions I read elsewhere) than the one shown and I didn't use a contrasting yarn to show the "twist" in it but I like how it turned out just the same.

I used almost one full skein of Lion Brand Homespun Yarn (I feel like it hides my mistakes better than a regular yarn) in Apple Green. I also purchased my first set of circular knitting needles for this project, Takumi Bamboo needles (36", no. 13) which was probably bigger than I needed but I was hoping for something a little chunkier. It just doesn't get cold enough here in the South to warrant an actual scarf so if it allowed for a little breathing room that was alright with me.



I still need to weave in the ends but I'm calling it finished. The picture above shows it wrapped around twice which is really the only way I could possibly get away with wearing it. I could see adding a large wooden button or a felt flower pin as a way to dress it up or make it more versatile.

I'll have to get better at taking pictures of projects as I go. Oh and taking pictures in daylight, when it's not super dark and raining outside. Silly amateur blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment